Thursday 3 January 2013

1/4 scale miniature cottage

I am working on a 1/4 scale cottage kit that was designed by my Mom. The above picture is of my Mom's completed project. So far I got quite a bit done on mine.


I started by assembling the outer shell.The outer shell is comprised of thin wood walls. The walls are held together using tacky glue and paper seems.






These were placed on a foam core base. The base has a printable "hardwood" pattern.


To create the interior walls, I glued the wallpaper/wall treatments to a cardboard that I fitted to the interior.  Using YES! glue I afixed the paper to the cardboard. YES glue is highly recomended for this as it does not curl or warp paper like other types of glue. I also find that it dries flat.


 

 
I using a dry brush method, I applied paint to the bottoms of the walls and corners to add a bit more dimension. Note the cardboard/wall paper is not yest gluesd to wood walls. 




 
 
I used a similar method for my ceilings. I fitted a piece of carboard. Then I painted the ceilings. Once the paint had dried I then glued the ceilings in place. Once again I used YES glue.






 
 The finished walls and ceilings in place.








This is where I got up to. I hope to start working on the exterior tomorrow. I will be creating a plaster exterior wall and brickwork around the chimney, doors and window frames.  This will be done using paper clay. I have never used paper clay before. Hopefully I won't be too messy!


No comments:

Post a Comment