Friday 3 May 2013

Finally finished!!! Miniature cottage landscaping and interior


It's Finally Finished!!! I have been very busy creating the landscaping and decorating the interior of my little cottage. To make the base, I took a piece of styrofoam and cut it to size and shaped it.



I placed the house on the styrofoam and traced out where it would sit. I also carved little stairs in the foam and made a porche out of foam core.  The next step is to paint the base. I painted the stairs a tan color, around the house brown (where the flower beds and bushes are going to be) and the grass area green.

Then I applied the grass and dirt. I used model train landscaping. I applied a thin layer of tacky glue to the area that I was covering. Then working over a plate I dropped the landscaping material onto the glue. Wait a few seconds then tap the bottom to remove any excess landscaping.



 I made "stones" using an egg carton. I used the rough side and cut out eneven shapes. Then I simply glued them in place using tacky glue. I made larger stones to go around the base and smaller ones for the steps. I used paper clay to cover the porch. I used the same methode as the chimney.



I made the tree by twisting foral wire together. To make the tree textured I painted on a layer of plaster. Once dry I painted it brown. Then, I glued on the landscaping folliage.


Once this was done I glued the house and tree to the base. Then it was time to decorate! The best part! On the outside I made tiny little pumpkins to sit on the steps, a water barel and potted plant. I also created vine to go over the doorway and added moss to the corners on the roof.

 




For the furniture I modified the plastic quarter scale furniture and made some of my own. Working on such a scale can be frustrating! you have no idea how many times I dropped something on the floor and then spent the next ten minutes trying to locate it!


In the kitchen:
I made a small fridge and stove. I made them using scrap pieces of wood and painted on the details. I modified the pastic sink to go into the counter tops. The kitchen table features a jug, a fruit bowl (I made tiny little bananas, oranges, apples and plums using FIMO), and a loaf of bread that my mom made. On the counter I made a little bowl of cookie dough and cookies. Once again I made them using FIMO.


In the bedroom:
I painted one of the plastic chairs and added a little piece of fabric to it. The fabric is supposed to be either clothes or a blanket drapped on the chair. To make the lamp, I took the lamp that comes in the kitchen packet (of the plastic furniture) and glued the bowl upside down on it to make the lamp shade. I painted little accents and trim in gold. I also made the little plant on the dresser. The pot is made of FIMO and the plant part is landscaping material.


In the living room:
The grand-father clock is the only piece in this room that I did not make. It is part of the plastic furniture kit, I simply painted the face and accented it in gold. The couch and chair I made with wood and leather. The plant is of the same style as the one in the bedroom.


In the bathroom:
I modified the toilet into a modern toilet. I cut the pole off and made a new tank out of FIMO and a new toilet lid from wood. I modified the sink to fit into a vanity that I made with wood scraps. This room still looks a little bare. I have now clue what to put in that one corner. Also the angles of the roof line can make it tricky to fit stuff.


 So there it is... My little 1/4 scale cottage is now complete! I really enjoyed working on this little house. I guess it's time to get started on a new project....


No comments:

Post a Comment